About Bill Batch
The billing batch interface uses a sortable grid to view outstanding billing items that have not yet been posted. These transactions may come from the automatic billing rules batch process, uploading of financial aid, online registration, or manual entry.
Understanding Bill Batch
Bill batch is reached by navigating to Student Financials > Bill Batch
There are multiple ways to show outstanding transactions:
- Filter on member function: allows the isolation of a single member for viewing or posting. Once a member is selected, click the Filter/Refresh Bill Batch button to refresh results.
- The filter on semester function: allows the isolation of a records for a selected semester. This option is useful when you have a member with billing transactions from multiple semesters and you wish to review post transactions for one semester. An example: a manual billing batch contains adjustments for a fall and spring semester. The fall transactions must be posted with a December 31 date for IRS reporting (e.g. 1098T), but the spring transactions must be posted with a January date. This function will allow separate review and posting of such transactions. Once a member is selected, click the Filter/Refresh Bill Batch button to refresh results.
Outstanding individual transactions appear as a table below.
- Clicking the edit symbol will allow you to modify an existing billing batch item.
- Clicking the delete symbol will allow you to delete the billing batch item.
- Clicking the Launch Person will allow you to drill down into the person’s record. From there, all sub-menu items are available. Additional billing batch items can then be added for the person selected.
Other functions of the screen
- The rename member function: Allows saving a batch of transactions for later review and/or posting. This is useful if you need to start another batch or wish to have someone else review a batch at a later time.
- The merge member function allows merging two members to post in a single batch.
- The sponsor lookup/add function: Allows adding of transactions for sponsor billing. Sponsors can be organizations or other entities who must be billed for enrollments. While the billing rules will automatically bill sponsors based on billing rules or course configurations, this function will allow manual adjustments to sponsor billing transactions. The receivables for sponsor billing is at the sponsor level and not the student, even though the billing transactions might be on behalf of an individual student. Sponsor billing should not be confused with third party billing. In the third-party billing scenario, the receivable is on the student and simply billed to a third party.
- EFT Batches: indicates the total amount of student refunds marked as EFT through the student refund process. Clicking EFT Batches displays a history of individual batches.
Run Bill Batch
- Navigate to Student Financials > Bill Batch
- In the Batch Operation Member box enter the name of the member
- Click Post Bill Batch
- A new screen appears
User Assigned Batch Number: Optional. If left blank, the system will automatically assign a batch number that can be used to identify a specific batch.
Default Batch Semester: This is used to designate the semester to be added to the transaction records when posted. This field should not be confused with the semester filtering function. All accounts receivable transaction records must have a semester/term associated with each record. For automatic billing rules billing, this is never a problem since each transaction already has the proper semester. The value entered here will fill in any records where the semester is left blank. For example, if you are entering a manual billing batch, you can leave the semester empty on each record to save keystrokes. The semester entered here will override all such blank semesters. If this prompt is left blank, then the semester default in the A/R control file will be used as a default. To summarize, the semester will be filled in using the following hierarchy:
- Individual record entry.
- Posting prompt entered on this posting page.
- Default value in the A/R control file.
It is important to remember that individual records that have a semester entered into them will never be overridden by the posting semester or the A/R control file default.
The batch posting date determines the actual transaction date in each A/R record. While the date will default to today, it can be overridden to any other valid date desired. Any valid date will be accepted as long as it is not prior to the last G/L posting date. The system will not allow you to post transactions into the subsidiary ledger if the general ledger is closed for that period. If this situation occurs, it is an easy matter to “un-post” the period on the general ledger side temporarily to get a batch posted with a prior date.
- Click Post Bill Batch
- After posting, a pop up will appear with a PDF summarizing all transactions posted