- 3 Minutes to read
General Ledger Module Overview
- 3 Minutes to read
About the General Ledger Module
The Campus Cafe General Ledger module is the controlling module for all financial transactions in all other modules. Through a hierarchy, this module ensures that transactions entered are in accordance with accounting procedures developed at the institution. Some institutions use third-party accounting systems, but the structure of the General Ledger will still control transactions or journal entries exported to another system.
Campus Cafe recommends using standard accounting numbering and a Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) compliant hierarchy in setting up the framework for the chart of accounts. It is recommended that institutions follow this model since it allows for a flexible reporting structure while keeping the general ledger numbers consistent. Another benefit is the reduction of keystrokes to key this type of general ledger number. See the section on setting up financial statements for more detail on using this structure.
This module adheres to all Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and uses a double entry system to create audit trails for all transactions.
- Hierarchical system lets the user define major levels such as fund and function, as well as sub-levels such as cost centers, which automatically total into functions and funds.
- Unlimited concurrent years for G/L and budgets can be processed simultaneously.
- Online access to all G/L accounts with easy add/change capabilities. Changes made are automatically reflected in subsequent reports, graphs, and queries.
- Extensive audit trails for all transactions performed at the general ledger level and for all subsidiary ledgers.
- External reporting capability through base reports allows capability to print financial reports such as the Comparative Budgetary (P&L) reports and Balance Sheets at various levels.
- User defined monthly and YTD standard reporting system. Flexible structure allows creation of customized budget vs. actual statements for month and YTD and balance sheets for each fund or on a consolidated basis.
- Online general ledger detail displays up to date detail G/L transactions and outstanding encumbrances, with budget totals for comparison to actuals.
- Departmental access for real time cost center P&L reporting with permissions to limit access to sensitive data as needed (e.g. salary information).
- Cumulative year to date G/L detail reports.
- Auditor's trial balance and worksheet.
- Automated cross-matching for key clearing accounts (e.g. match all student refunds posted through the student account with actual payment vouchers entered for payment back to student).
- System allows for month-end closing with no interruption of operations.
- Recurring journal entries and automatic reversing eliminates duplication of repetitive monthly entries and accruals.
- Year-end can be closed as soon as necessary. The new year can then be started without waiting for final entries. The previous year can be reopened as often as needed and auditor's adjustments are automatically carried forward. In essence, you may work on the current year, previous year, and next year's G/L and budget on a simultaneous basis. All posting and management of different year's files is handled by the system.
- Trial balances are available in a variety of sorts (e.g. by fund, function, cost center or by other user defined criteria).
- Budgeting system allows flexible allocation of y-t-d amounts for monthly periods.
- Budget statements reflect actual activity as well as amounts encumbered.
- Detail encumbrance data reporting.
- Budgeting system allows flexible allocation of YTD amounts for monthly periods.
- Automatic posting of all cash receipts, cash disbursements, revenues, and expenses, with detail and summary reports provided.
- A project expense tracking (PET) number is provided to track capital projects or other projects and budgets that span multiple fiscal years or fall outside of normal budgetary operations.
- The Campus Cafe project tracking and management system is designed to track and report activities for capital projects and grants, as well as scholarships, and other entities. This activity is recorded at a level that is subsidiary to the general ledger. This allows for detailed and flexible reporting without adding a large number of records to the general ledger.
- The project file allows for many user definable attributes to define the parameters for the project. Some examples of these attributes are the manager, overall budget, start and end dates, description, purpose, and other restrictions.
- A project can also be broken down into an unlimited number of sub-projects. This allows for tighter budget controls and reporting with drill downs to the sub-project and individual account level.
- The project tracking and management system is integrated with Campus Cafe’s budgeting and purchase order modules, ensuring a high level of data integrity, and preventing over budget items without proper authority.
- Transactions can be distributed to projects through requisition/Purchase Order/Account Payable Entry, Cash Receipts Entry, or General Journal Entry.
- Projects can be reported in a flexible manner with selection on all attributes. Reports can be broken down by year month or overall time span with drill down capability to view transaction detail.