About the Wait List
The wait list allows students to indicate they wish to register for a class that has no seat availability.
In Campus Cafe, the ability to join the wait list is controlled through a custom control and permissions. A student belonging to a permission group with the waitlist permission will be shown the option to join the wait list when attempting to register for a class that is full. If a student already registered for that class drops, the wait listed student will not automatically be placed in the class. Instead, the newly available seat will be held in reserve and no one else allowed to register for the class (although others may join the wait list) until an administrator takes action. A user with appropriate permission (e.g. the Registrar or the instructor) may choose to register the wait listed student(s) into the class.
Wait listed students remain on the wait list indefinitely. There is no process that globally clears the wait list.
Effect on Seats Left
Once the number of students enrolled in a class reaches the maximum seat count for the section, on the course registration page Seats Left will display as 0. Students added to the waitlist will have no impact on Seats Left. The number of waitlisted students will show on the course roster screen highlighted in yellow under the Seats Used column.
If a student drops a full class and there are waitlisted students, on the course registration page Seats Left will display as 1. However, no students will be able to register for the class as the seat is essentially being held for the waitlisted student.
Turn on Wait List in Custom Control
- Navigate to Admin > Custom Control Maintenance
- Locate ProgramId WEBWAITLST
- Next to WEBWAITLST click the pencil icon
- In Parameter Value 1 enter Y
- Click Save
- Refresh the cache by navigating to Admin > Admin Servlet > reload data
|Type of User||Permission Number||Permission|
|Student||553||If NA then lose option to go on wait list if course full.|
|Student||552||If NA hide course wait list addition dialog. If the student has permission 553 and this permission is set to NA, the student will automatically join the wait list without warning.|
|Administrator||589||If NA then lose option to go on wait list if course full.|
|Administrator||588||If NA hide course wait list addition dialog.|
|Administrator/Faculty||1173||If NA removes the ability to remove a student from the wait list on the course roster|
|Public Course Catalog||611||NA hides the Wait List Information and Filtering on the Non-Public Course Listing.|
|Administrator/Faculty||1192||NA hides the extra wait list information and filtering options from the public course listing, the registration course listing, the course listing with rosters and the ability to take a student off a wait list via the course roster screen.|
Enroll Wait Listed Student in the Class through the Course Roster
- Navigate to the course roster
- Wait listed students are highlighted in yellow by default (your institution may have changed the color scheme) and indicated with a + icon under status. The Entered Date/Time column indicates the day and time the student joined the wait list.
- Click the + icon to register the wait listed student
Enroll Wait Listed Student in the Class through the Enrollment Detail
- Navigate to the student
- Click the Student Degree tab
- Click Enrollment History
- Wait listed students are highlighted in yellow by default (your institution may have changed the color scheme)
- Under Edit, click the pencil icon
- Uncheck the Wait List checkbox
- Click Save
Drop Student from Wait List
- Navigate to the student
- Navigate to Person Selected > Register for Classes
- Choose the Semester
- Next to the Class to Remove from wait list, click drop
View Wait List Totals for Classes
The list of course rosters shows how many students are on a waiting list for each class.
Permission #1192 is required to access this function.
- Navigate to Faculty/Staff > Course Rosters
- If the filters do not show, click Expand Filters
- Next to Show Wait List information check the box; to only show courses with wait listed students and available seats, check the show only courses with wait lists and available seats
- Click Submit
- In the list of courses, the numbers in the yellow highlights represent the number of students on the wait list. In the below example there are 18 seats used and 17 students on the wait list.
View all Students on All Waitlists
- Navigate to Faculty/Staff > Base Reports
- Log in to Base Reports
- Click the Registrar Reports folder
- Click the Waitlist Roster Report